I am an artist and an animator. I play between the things that I find aesthetically pleasing and the things that make me laugh cherry Coke out my nose.

Making Mousse on Valentine's Day

I tried making chocolate mousse for the first time and it's much simpler than I thought! It tasted good, too.
Start with an egg yolk and beat lightly 
Melt 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips on low heat
Stir until smooth, for about 5 minutes. Add some of the chocolate to the yolk in its bowl and mix together. Add the chocolate-yolk mixture back to the rest of the chocolate in the pot and cook til it thickens for another 5 minutes. Add 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, stir well, and let cool.
Meanwhile, beat 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream until it starts to thicken, then add a tablespoon sugar. Beat until soft peaks form.
Fold whipped cream into cooled chocolate mixture. Turns out I'm as bad at folding ingredients as I am laundry.  
Serve, cover and chill 2 hours-overnight. I topped mine with fresh raspberries before serving.
Traditionally, we have a winter picnic by the harbor on Valentine's Day. Busy with work, we instead had a brunch at home. Not pictured is the Nicoise salad that I made as well (I have an Italian's sense of proportion). This is our first Valentine's Day without Hostess chocolate cupcakes... 
Jarlsberg cheese with baguette picks from Marseille. 

No comments:

Post a Comment