I am an artist and an animator. I play between the things that I find aesthetically pleasing and the things that make me laugh cherry Coke out my nose.

Photoshop Portraits



Trying out some portrait painting in Photoshop. The left eye is still weird and he may be slightly constipated, but the colors were fun and I didn't mind staring at Johnny Depp for 3 hours.

 Here I switched it up by practicing on a figure fully exposed in light, with very smooth shading and lots of hair. The grayscale was much more challenging than color, especially with such even lighting. There were much more subtleties that showed up depending on how I was looking at my screen. This is supposed to be the French actress Marion Coutillard, but she looks more like Winona Ryder and Rachel Weisz. While the hair and likeness could have been done much better, my favorite part is the pose and the blending in her shoulder and arm.

 Kiera Knightley, more practice with hair.

Trying to do rougher, faster portrait sketches: I found some pictures of models because they always have elaborate hair and eye makeup.

 For some reason, whenever I tried using a grid to do hand-drawn portraits, it never helped me and so I abandoned it as a method. Digitally it's easier for me and I'm able to map out a rough sketch.

 Dropping in color and blending.


Sketching form using the grid.

 Finished drawing, trying to paint more loosely. Practicing more lip, eye, and hair coloring techniques. The colors are laid down in a blockier style but I still need to work faster.



Trying a rougher look with different brushes. The result is a woman who looks like Angelina Jolie and Richard Kiel's lovechild.

No comments:

Post a Comment